Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm an adventurous woman now

Hello my faithful readers:

This weekend I became an “adventurous woman” as my friend Javiera called me. If you know me well, then you know that I don’t do so well with heights. You’re talking to a girl who is more than a little frightened of going on a down escalator. So the fact that I actually got up the nerve to zip-line across the Honduran jungle is a pretty big deal.

The experience zip-lining or “canopy” as it is called here on Roatan, was the beginning of my birthday weekend celebration. The trip was organized as a treat for some of the more well-behaved kids from the tutoring program for SOL. Once I relaxed a little bit (about halfway through) I had an amazing time and just enjoyed the view from up in the air. For me zipping through the air was rather peaceful once I forgot that I was terrified of heights. Seeing the happy expressions on about 12 of the SOL kids after getting through the course was rewarding as well – they truly inspired me to face my fears.

After my morning of the canopy tour – we ended the night by going out for dinner and drinks in the West End section of the island – the part of town where we generally hang out most when we want to grab drinks or dinner. We went to local Balleda stand for dinner where I had a tasty pollo (chicken) one. Then we headed to Sundowners Bar (refreshing frozen margaritas), Mayan Lounge (vodka 2 for 1 special & the much needed ice-cold air-conditioning), then to the Blue Marlin (delicious brownie with vanilla ice-cream). After the Blue Marlin most of the group was tired from such a long day and we made a relatively early night of it and I was home and safely tucked into bed by 11 PM.

On my actual birthday I woke up super early again (it’s hard to sleep here past 6:30 AM because it’s so sunny and hot by then). Our power went out around 7 AM so I went outside to cool off at the docks. We’d decided that we would do a day-trip to West Bay (the area on Roatan where most of the resorts are located). After a 5-10 minute water taxi ride from West End we arrived to a strip of resorts and lots of beach. We walked the strip enjoying the cool water lapping at our feet. Then we had a lunch then headed back here to Sandy Bay. It was a relaxing day for me and I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate my 32 years on this earth.

Mwuah,

A Broad

No comments: